Ok, I know, I KNOW! The title of this blog is “C’mon, Get Crafty!” …well, that title was inspired by a song, from a move, my FAVORITE movie actually. (Well, ok, to be fair, I have TWO favorite movies. But it is from one of them!)
I’m currently bogged down in crafting my brains out in anticipation of my first booth, but I hate to neglect you all. Then it occurred to me…..my blog description mentions movie lover. LOOP.HOLE.
So, no crafts to post as yet, but how about mixing things up a bit with a list?? Per the internet, all you people love this kind of thing. Or per me. ‘Cuz I do. Whatever.
So I propose my first list!
Movies I will make my children watch!
(For various reasons.)
…..these are in no particular order….and I reserve the right to add on to this list over time. I encourage you to add to it via your comments! I’d hate to miss something I should be forcing on my offspring!
1. Secret of NIMH. No idea where I was first introduced to this, but I totally remember it from before I can remember how old I even was. The only other movie like this I have memories of, I can no longer find – Banjo, the Woodpile Cat. And you don’t even want to know how deep I had to dig in the memory banks for THAT name.
2. Summer Stock. One of my top two favorite movies, and the one most easily received. Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. My kids are definitely going to understand two such great artists.
3. Singin’ In the Rain. Same reason. I’m ashamed to admit, I saw this (ME! ME, damn you!) for the FIRST TIME, in COLLEGE. In FILM CLASS, no less. Please, don’t look at me. I’m a disgrace.
4. Willy Wonka and the Chocolote Factory – Original, NOT Johnny and Tim. Now, don’t get me wrong. I will pretty much salivate…er, see anything Mr. Depp decides to apply himself too, animation and real. But in this instance, despite Depp/Burton’s version being slightly more accurate to Roald Dahl’s creepy original book, I LOVE the first one. All of it. “Cause I’ve got a golden ticket!”
5. An American Tail – um, I heart Fieval. Great story, great cartoon.
6. Sleeping Beauty. My FAVORITE Disney movie of all time, though there are many good ones out there that I love. This one stills marks my original favorite. 🙂
7. Star Wars Trilogy: Original. Yeah, I’m a nerd. I also remember, year after year, bonding with my much older cousins over the Christmas ritual (the only time we were together) of watching the trilogy. But seriously, it’s damn near Shakespeare, in that you can’t NOT know Star Wars…you miss so many references in modern day life!
8. Gay Purr-ee. A cartoon about French cats, voiced by Judy Garland, Paul Frees, and Robert Goulet. Apparently, I was aged 3 when my mother taped this off of AMC (complete with old man referencing dusty books cutaways from commercials), and I fell in love. This is how I know my love of Judy is true…it began at age three!
9. Mary Poppins – needs no explanation, as everyone knows it is Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious!
10. The Quiet Man, with John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara. I’m not a big western fan, but I adore John Wayne’s departure from his norm in this beautiful film.
I have lots more, and I guarantee, you all have your own choices! So let’s hear them!